The Police Building
New York, NY
Built in 1905, this building functioned as the headquarters for the City of New York Police Department until the early 1970’s when the headquarters was relocated to lower Manhattan. Encompassing over 180,000 square feet, the building remained unoccupied for over a decade, and it consequently suffered extensive deterioration. The exterior of the building, richly decorated in limestone, terra cotta and copper, is one of New York’s finest examples of the Beaux-Arts style.
EE&K was hired to restore the building to its original magnificence and to redesign the space into a luxury apartment building. The goal was to provide a wide range of apartment sizes and configurations to suit varied market requirements, while retaining all of the original detailing on the exterior and in the significant interior public spaces. The design called for a mix of uses on the seven main levels of the building; the five upper stories are primarily residential, and the two lower levels were reserved as a not-for-profit space.